I just finished a baby blanket I’ve been working on for over a month. Here is a peek at the back:
Basically you sew diagonal lines through 4 yards of flannel. Then, you cut through 3 of the layers, leaving 1 layer to hold it all together! When you wash it, the cut flannel gets all wriggly and curvy and its very fun for babies to stroke and snuggle with. 🙂 Maybe I’ll post a tutorial on how to do it if I make another one before my little girl makes her debut in this world. Here is a snapshot of the front flipped onto the back.
I also went to a baby shower for a friend, and sewed a purple baby blanket for her. I actually have several purple flannels with cute prints, but I’m hesitant to use them for myself because I’ve never been a huge fan of purple. That is to say, I like it on other people & in other people’s homes, but I just can’t envision myself or my personal projects as being purple-heavy.
I also whipped up this little number…just a single layer of flannel with the edges turned over twice. Its hard to tell in this photo, but its fuchsia on cream. I think its darling. After the previous paragraph, do I need to state that this doesn’t really count as purple in my book because the fuchsia contains a lot of red/pink? I remember using a lot of single-layer blankets for my boys when they were under 6 months, so now I’m trying to decide which of my flannel patterns to use to make 2 or 3 more.
The women’s organization at my church is holding a charity auction tonight. If you wanted to donate you could either make something to donate, or donate an actual service (like babysitting for someone else, or cooking lessons, etc) I made this cute star using a liberated quilting technique.
Then I turned it into a pillow. I stuffed it pretty well, its quite firm. I think that if no one wants it then its no loss because it will match the pink & aqua quilt I’m working on. Who knows, maybe I’ll make myself a matching pillow anyway! I used the light aqua color as a seam border, and the dark teal on the back. I think it turned out quite cute!
Last but not least I am also, slowly, getting my jar quilt put together. Here is the layout I decided on:
Now I have a stack of jars on my ironing board, waiting to be ironed so I can lay them out again & sew the next connecting seam on my rows. My goal in January was to get as many partially finished quilts finished this year (and hopefully before the baby comes) as possible. As this post probably demonstrates, I’ve had a lot of distracting sewing projects happening! But I think I’m finally getting to a place mentally where I ought to be able to finish my Fruit Salad quilt, and hopefully this jars quilt, in March. I also feel guilty about not plugging away at the sampler quilt I started (see some blocks here and here…back when I first started posting them on Y Seams) so I suppose its a good thing that I dropped out of most of the bees, swaps, and flickr exchange groups I did last year!